[GRASS-user] Organizing locations and mapsets on NFS for teams

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Oct 4 06:23:04 PDT 2015

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I was referring to the "Using GRASS GIS locations in a network"/"Student machine(s)" section. I overlooked the "NFS read-only reason" for this solution...

Do you (or anyone else) have a smart solution for keeping your locations on NFS tidy? Are you and your colleagues only very disciplined or do you have a kind of data care taker who cleans up the GRASS DB regularly and maybe archives expired projects?

Do you use specific naming conventions (esp. for mapsets but maybe also maps)? We copied the convention used on the wiki-page to name locations by CRS, but I am less sure what to do when it comes to mapsets... Here, I was considering using prefixes like "G_" for all mapsets of general interest (probably "GT_" for TGIS-mapsets) followed by a thematic name / keyword, "P_" followed by project name for project mapsets, and "U_" followed by user name for user mapsets...  So at least these conceptually different mapset types group / order logicaly...

And how do you maintain the PERMANENT mapset(s) on NFS. Does only the creator of the location use / modify it? Are there any solutions for doing that in a collaborative approach (which might be used for other mapsets too)? I mean in terms of access rights...

Do you use a metadata repository to make it transparent for everybody what data is in what mapset?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. Using GRASS already helps a lot to have and keep the (growing amounts of) data well structured, but a description of recommended practices or field-proven solution might help users to get even more out of it...

Kind regards
Stefan