[GRASS-user] External Database and projections

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Oct 7 03:55:22 PDT 2015

Hi Lorenzo,

My suggestion is to not use PostGIS for big rasters, unless you have to, because you want to use the data in a specific application for example.

You can have the vector you want to calculate statistics on in PG. Load and reproject it to your DEM in GRASS, run your analysis and write the results (tables without geometry) back to PG and join them to your original vector map.
Do all spatial operations in GRASS (preferably raster based) meaning, convert vector to raster and use raster statistics (e.g. r.univar).

Cheers
Stefan