[GRASS-user] Splitting a location across several disks

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:02:38 PDT 2015

Hi,

It has been a while, but glad to be back on GRASS-user.

I am working on a project that involves a significant storage dilemma: try
and fit most of the files into a 500 Gb SSD for blazing-fast I/O, or fall
back to a standard but higher capacity disk drive.

Would it be possible to store "derived" data into a mapset that is on
standard disk, while the "source" data reside in another mapset, stored on
the SSD?

In other words, is it OK for a location to contain several mapsets that
don't "live" on the same physical disk. It seems like it should work (via
symlink), but I would like to see if there are any caveats that I should be
aware of.

Also, is the NULL file compression code ready for production use?

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2750

Thanks!
Dylan