[GRASS-user] Performing a Maximum Likelihood Supervised classification with a single band

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Oct 13 16:49:28 PDT 2015

Umberto:

> First of all, as I already have training areas, i want to use them in a
> > Supervised classification rather than an unsupervised one (as ISODATA).

Having already (well defined) training areas is a big step.

> > Second, I am only interested in using one band for the classification,

Interested or restricted?  If more bands are available, and you go the
supervised way, why opting for a single-band-based process?  Many would
rather advise for a segmentation process (aka object-based approach).
Of course, to second Veronica, it depends on what the "source"
resolution is and what the features of interest are.

> > which was the reason I could not use "i.maxlik".

Don't hesitate to experiment with the same band twice, I'd say (again).

Nikos