[GRASS-user] External Database and projections

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Oct 14 07:09:00 PDT 2015

Hi Lorenzo,

What do you mean with a «distributed infrastructure”?

Do you want to make the rasters available via WWW or in your company/institution?
There are other options to share data than PostGIS… Within an organization your GRASS GIS database on NFS would be a much, much more efficient one.
For WWW-publishing WCS is an option…

Anyway, writing copies of your raster maps to DB (PostGIS) – if that is a fix requirement - is less of a problem (if they are not too heavy), than writing to DB, reading from DB for processing in GRASS and writing result back to DB…

If your aim is to add “zonal statistics” to a vector layer in PostGIS I would do the raster operation in GRASS and then join the result to PG…

Cheers
Stefan