[GRASS-user] homebrew and GRASS

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Oct 29 09:02:53 PDT 2015

Doc Robinson <doc.robinson at utoronto.ca> writes:

> hi again,

Hi

I forward this to the grass-user list as these are relevant questions.

> I am gearing up to install homebrew then the various versions of GRASS.
> I have already installed XQuartz, but I noticed that on one page with
> instructions they list it as being installed after homebrew...does it
> matter?

I can't think of any reason why it should matter.

> On the Apple app store the version of Xcode is 7.1 while the example on
> http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/installing-homebrew-os-x-yosemite-10-10-package-manager-unix-apps/
>
> is 6.3   is home brew sensitive to the version?

In general, you should always use the newest version of Xcode - I never
had problems with this and

brew doctor

even warns you if a newer version is available.

> no rush...thanks in advance

No problem.

Just be aware that the grass recipe from homebrew does not work at the
moment, but the osgeo4mac recipes[1] grass-64 is working, grass-70
produces errors but I guess you can install it with --without-gui.

There is also my port of the osgeo recipe for 7.0 to install 7.1 (-HEAD
only) at https://github.com/rkrug/homebrew-head-only, which presumably
has the same problems as grass-70

Cheers,

Rainer

> On 2015-10-07 12:09 PM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>

>> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>>
>>> Le 7 oct. 2015 à 17:56, Doc Robinson <doc.robinson at utoronto.ca> a
>>> écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi I saw your post on the GRASS list about using homebrew to
>>> install both 7.0 and 7.1 under both Yosemite and El Capitan.
>>>
>>> I have just taken delivery of macmini with Yosemite on it. I do not
>>> intend to upgrad to El Capitan unless there is an absolute need for
>>> me to.
>>
>> Unless you have a really good reason, I would upgrade to El Capitan.
>> Most of the problems occur in upgrades - not new installations.
>>

>>> My question is related to homebrew and installing GRASS 6.4.x. Have
>>> you done that or have you just done the 7.x installs on your
>>> system?
>>
>> I have 6.4 installed as well.
>>

>>> It will be my first try at using homebrew.
>>
>> In my opinion (with my Linux background) homebrew plays an important
>> in the Apple universe. I try to install everything using homebrew and
>> if makes many things much easier for me.
>>
>> But one thing I learned: try to avoid mixing homebrew with the
>> standard apple packages- this can cause difficult to identify
>> problems.
>>
>> Don't hesitate to come back with further questions. Possibly cc the
>> grass  user mailinglist as this might be if general interest.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer
>>
>>> thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> -- Regards, Doc

> Vincent B. Robinson       |
>>> Department of Geography    | E-Mail: doc.robinson at utoronto.ca
>>> University of Toronto     | Voice: (905)828-5299 at Mississauga
>>> 1C6        |

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac

Stellenbosch University