[GRASS-user] data catalog question

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 01:28:23 PDT 2016

On 10-04-16 10:03, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi Anna,

>> I was wondering what is the opinion about the new data catalog (in
>> trunk), specifically, whether users should be able to modify (copy,
>> rename, delete) maps from other mapsets and locations than the current
>> ones. I find it very useful to edit any mapsets, but it goes against
>> the traditional GRASS approach. I have this (edit anything behavior)
>> implemented locally, but wanted to know before committing if people
>> agree with that.
Could be a great new feature and I would be happy to test. I assume
though that this functionality is strictly limited to the data catalog?
I.e., in the layer view the traditional approach should be kept i.m.h.o.

> I would suggest to keep traditional approach at least by default. What
> about new option in preferences?
+1
> In the same way I was thinking about
> GUI option "Set up computational region automatically from input
> data". Martin
Could be useful as well, but I certainly hope that would remain
optional, as working with a region that is independent of the input
layers is one of the really great strength of GRASS.