[GRASS-user] Missing information in the GRASS 7 NewFeatures/OptionChanges web page

Bartolomei.Chris Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com
Thu Apr 28 00:35:15 PDT 2016

I'm upgrading some scripts to run in GRASS 7.1 (from GRASS 6.4.4) and just wanted to point out some missing information on the Changes page:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Optionschanges
I may misunderstand what was intended to be listed in this web page, so please forgive me if this is useless...
(note that these are just the modules I use in some scripts, I didn't go through every module nor did I list any add--ons)

For v.db.select the field separator option changed and is not listed:
fs -> separator

For v.to.db the units are spelled out now:
mi -> miles
f -> feet
me -> meters
k -> kilometers
a -> acres
h -> hectares
r -> radians
d -> degrees

If version 7 can still use the abbreviations, then the man page (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/v.to.db.html) should reflect this.

For g.region, the map types are spelled out now:
rast -> raster
vect -> vector
rast3d -> raster_3D
option 3dview has been removed

For r.mask (not listed at all)
-o -> --overwrite
option input has changed to either option raster or option vector
options layer, cats, where, --help, and --ui have been added

For r.resample:
option -q has been removed (redundant)
option --ui has been added

For r.stream.extract:
options memory and --ui added

For r.watershed:
options -b, tci, spi, --help, and --ui have been added
option visual has been removed

For r.patch (not listed at all):
-q option removed (redundant)
options --help and --ui added

For r.to.vect:
option -t added (do not create attribute table)
option -q removed (redundant)
options --help and --ui added
option column added

For r.neighboors:
option -q removed (redundant)
options --help and --ui added
options selection and quantile are added
methods count, quart1, quart3, perc90, and quantile added

For g.rename:
rast -> raster
rast3d -> raster_3d
vect -> vector
labels -> label
options oldvect, asciivect, icon, sites, region3d, and 3dview have been removed

For v.db.connect (not listed at all):
option -l is removed
fs -> separator
options --overwrite, --help and --ui added

For g.mapsets:
fs -> separator
the "measure -> method" is an error and should not be there

For db.connect (not listed at all):
-g and -d options added
default driver has changed from dbf to sqlite

For v.category (not listed at all):
-t option added (do not copy attribute table)
options --help and --ui added
option=transfer added

For r.null (not listed at all):
-z option added

For db.execute:
option sql= added
usage changed: if piping from an echo statement, add "input=- to the end of the command:
echo "{your sql statement};" | db.execute input=-
instead of
echo "{your sql statement};" | db.execute

For v.db.update:
rast -> elevation is an error and should not be there
option sqliteextra added

For v.net:
option -s (snap) is added
options arc_type, turn_layer, and turn_cat_type are added
options --help and --ui added

For v.net.allpairs:
option -a has been removed
technically the statement ncolumn->node_column is incorrect: there was no ncolumn thus option node_column (and option node_layer) is new

Chris Bartolomei P.E.
Engineer/Scientist
ENSCO, Inc.
bartolomei.chris at ensco.com

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and sensitive. If you are not the intended recipient, or otherwise have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email at the above referenced address and note that any further dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

The U.S. Export Control Laws regulate the export and re-export of technology originating in the United States. This includes the electronic transmission of information and software to foreign countries and to certain foreign nationals. Recipient agrees to abide by these laws and their regulations -- including the U.S. Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations and the U.S. Department of State International Traffic in Arms Regulations -- and not to transfer, by electronic transmission or otherwise, any content derived from this email to either a foreign national or a foreign destination in violation of such laws.