[GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows batch file and not an executable?

Bartolomei.Chris Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com
Sat Apr 30 01:53:09 PDT 2016

Ok (I guess) but this causes severe problems running shell scripts that call out the GRASS modules ... there is no way of knowing which modules are compiled executables (which run fine from the shell script) and which ones are Windows Batch files (which DON'T run when called from a script) ... unless you run the script and figure out which modules make it crash.  If you look in the bin directory, you'll see a mix of both ... for example r.mask, v.build.all and v.db.addcolumn are Windows Batch files which you can''t run from a shell script - you have to add the "python {path to script}/{script}.py" to run it whereas in the same bin directory v.build, v.clean, r.what, etc are compiled executables.
This is really really (really) bad.  There are a lot of legacy shell scripts that will need extensive rewriting for which there are no resources to do. It's bad enough that msys is gone, the topology is no longer valid (have to update all data), a large amount of the module syntax options have changed, and so on ... for me all of this grief is because v.net doesn't snap points to the network and the fix (in v7) won't be ported to v6.4.4 .... They modules should all be compiled executables so legacy shell scripts users have can run them ... please make at least ONE thing about this "upgrade" semi-straightforward. It's been a nightmare.

Chris Bartolomei P.E.
Engineer/Scientist
ENSCO, Inc.
bartolomei.chris at ensco.com