[GRASS-user] v.import and v.proj errors

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:24:14 PDT 2016

Hi Helli,

>  >as they are in mercator projection (epsg:3857) and I'm working in eu_laea
>
> I assume eu_laea is epsg: 3035 (http://epsg.io/3035)?
>
> if yes, epsg3035 is dedicated to the area of Europe.
>
> is the generalized coastlines data for the whole world?

yes and yes

maybe world wide data in epsg:3857 (http://epsg.io/3857) can't be
> reprojected into a epsg:3035 location without too much distortion?

mhm... I see... and it makes sense...

my workflow in such cases where only a subregion of worldwide data is needed
> : I use the clip mechanism of ogr2ogr [1] in order to clip out my region
> and
> reproject only this clipped area.
>
> HTH

it does, indeed :) (I wonder what is qgis using then to make the global
data re-projection...)

I also tried with clipping to my region inside v.import (which is maybe
equivalent to your trick with ogr2ogr?), but got the same error every
time... boh... would be anyway useful to clarify what this "datum_trans"
option means.

thanks much!

vero