[GRASS-user] copying mapsets

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:57:01 PDT 2016

Hi List,

I have ~800 LOCATIONS taking up ~1 TB. For each of these 800 locations I've created a mapset called SUBSET with a mask, a small non-mask region, and subset of data that takes up much less space.

I'd like to copy each of the SUBSET mapsets to my laptop from the external disk so I can work on it while I travel without the disk. I'm not sure how to best do this.

r.pack doesn't look like it would work. It warns, "Since the selected raster map is not exported but natively stored, the current region is not respected. Hence r.pack stores the entire raster map."

It seems like g.copy is one method, but I need to re-create each of the 800 locations with the correct projection.

Can I zip or tarball SUBSET and then unzip/tar it and will that work? Are there other files outside of the SUBSET mapset that I need to worry about?

Thanks,

  -k.