[GRASS-user] bug 3057

Greg Minshall minshall at acm.org
Thu Aug 25 03:02:40 PDT 2016

hi.  after a nice tutorial here at FOSS4G2016, i've been installing
grass 7.0.4 on my Mac (as an x11, "normal" unix app, rather than as
/Applications/...).

there were various hurdles (many involving the fact that macosx tends to
suppress passing on the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH,
presumably for security reasons).

my last (known) problem gave me symptoms similar to
----
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3057
----

this seems to come from wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py, where there
is the following code:
----
# Needs Numeric or numarray or NumPy
try:
    import numpy.oldnumeric as _Numeric
except:
    try:
        import numarray as _Numeric  #if numarray is used it is renamed Numeric
    except:
        try:
            import Numeric as _Numeric
        except:
            msg= """
            This module requires the Numeric/numarray or NumPy module,
            which could not be imported.  It probably is not installed
            (it's not part of the standard Python distribution). See the
            Numeric Python site (http://numpy.scipy.org) for information on
            downloading source or binaries."""
            raise ImportError, "Numeric,numarray or NumPy not found. \n" + msg
----

i guess new versions of numpy don't contain oldnumeric.  i solved this
by installing the python Numeric package.

sorry if this isn't the correct place to report bugs/hopeful-solutions.

cheers, Greg Minshall