[GRASS-user] flow accumulation values

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 10:54:59 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Ken Mankoff <mankoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this MFD or SFD? If MFD, flow may split and re-join.

Exactly. With MFD, flow may be distributed to several downstream cells
and the accumulation value can drop when following the extracted path.
This is is most prominent when a river flows into an ocean. Paths,
however, follow Horton's stream network logic and can not split, only
join.

> I also noticed that r.stream.extract finds different flow-paths than r.watershed, which complicates comparisons between the two. The work-around for this is to use a mask to force r.stream.extract to find the flow-path you want.

r.stream.extract is the preferred stream extraction tool.

Markus M