[GRASS-user] Working with LiDAR data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 30 09:53:55 PDT 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> Here is set of lectures and assignments from NCSU partially dealing with
> lidar:
> http://ncsu-geoforall-lab.github.io/geospatial-modeling-course/topics/geomorphometry_basics.html
>
> Here are my talks focused on some basic and some new GRASS GIS features
> related to lidar:
> https://wenzeslaus.github.com/grass-lidar-talks
>
> And my paper dealing with some general and some specific point cloud
> processing things:
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304340172_Processing_UAV_and_lidar_point_clouds_in_GRASS_GIS

Vaclav,

   Thanks. That will do nicely.

> And as far as I understood from previous emails, you already looked at
> GRASS wiki.

   Yep.

   I also just learned that here in Oregon the state charges for providing
raw LAS data to the public ($150+ for 50G, about 4 7.5 minute topo quads),
but provides ESRI-formatted data for free. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not
a bureaucrag. I'll use the Grid formatted data because I cannot justify
charging my client for the raw data.

Thanks very much,

Rich