[GRASS-user] WinGRASS not recognizing accented utf-8 (nor cp1252) attribute values

Salim Al Razzaz salim.razzaz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:12:14 PST 2016

Hi,

I've got shape files with Swedish accented letters (ÄÖÅ) in the some of the attribute
values. The Attributes are shwon as they should in the GUI. SQL statements, however,
are not recognizing them. They're also messed up in the command output if another
(not accented) values are queried.

I sat GRASS_DB_ENCODING to cp1252 firstly and it didn't work. Then I converted the
dbf file into utf-8 and sat it as the value of the variable, to no avail. I also
tried using the 'encoding' parameter in v.in.ogr in both cases, didn't work.

I tried it on windows 8.1 and windows 10. The same is happening in both, stable GRASS
7.0.5 and GRASS 7.2.0RC1.

The problem is only happening on Windows. Fedora and Mac OsX don't have this issue
with the same shape files.

Any suggestion?

Salim