[GRASS-user] Color equalization after patching/mosaicking the satellite data from multiple scenes

Sajid Pareeth spareeth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 07:34:23 PST 2016

Hi all

I have some data from different scenes of Landsat8 covering my area of
interest. But after mosaicking, it clearly shows the border line and the
difference in colors in the composites.

For example I am attaching two cases, one from *Sentinel2* and another from
*Landsat8*.

I mosaicked two scenes of sentinel taken on the *same day,- November 19
2016*, and tried following commands to get a composite.

i.colors.enhance blue=S2A_B02 green=S2A_B8A.hpf red=S2A_B11.hpf
> r.composite blue=S2A_B02.hpf green=S2A_B8A.hpf red=S2A_B11
> output=test_118A02

And it works perfect, there is no sign that the image is from two scenes
(attached - S2_19Nov2016comp_118A02.jpg ).

But in the case of L8, it is more complicated as the data is coming from
three scenes. Two scenes are from the same orbit and third from adjacent
which has a different date.
For each  scene, there are two acquisitions in November 2016 (Total six
images in November 2016 for this g.region).
Hence I used r.patch and r.series to create a November month composite and
with this, the color composite looks really bad.

i.colors.enhance blue=L8_B02.hpf green=L8_B05.hpf red=L8_B06.hpf
> r.composite blue=L8_B02.hpf green=L8_B05.hpf red=L8_B06.hpf output=test_652

Please see attached "L8_Nov2016_comp_652.jpg"

Is there anything I miss here to obtain a good composite over multiple
scenes taken from different dates, but from the same month?

Regards

Sajid