[GRASS-user] (re)projection question

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Jan 21 08:45:51 PST 2016

>> As far as the projection question goes - When you create a new location
>> it gives you several methods for defining the projections
>>      Select EPSG code
>>      Read projection from existing data file
>>      Read projection from Well Known Text (prj) file
>>      Selecting coordinate systems from list
>>      Custom Proj.4 string
>>      Create XY coordinate system
>>
>> One of those methods will get you set with your projection that you
>> need.
>
>Yes, but don't have any of things in that list, or if I do, I don't
recognize them in the following information:

a quick internet search finds, e.g.

http://geotiff.maptools.org/proj_list/oblique_stereographic.html

maybe a starting point.

for a correct Proj.4 string to create a location, it's best to ask in the
Proj.4 ML.

or ask on the GDAL ML if you want to try reprojection outside of GRASS by
gdalwarp.

>Still, I think I've just solved it.  I create a new temp location, set it
based on the lon,lat and >rows,columns of the input, and then load the data:

>g.mapset mapset=PERMANENT location=tmp_in
>eval `r.in.xyz -g input='RU.csv' output=RU fs=","`
>g.region n=$n s=$s e=$e w=$w t=$t b=$b rows=110 cols=60
>r.in.xyz --v input='RU.csv' output=RU fs=","

I'm not sure that reprojection from such a location will work as there is no
coordinate system information (needed for reprojection)?

-----
best regards
Helmut