[GRASS-user] (re)projection question

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Jan 21 12:53:02 PST 2016

Ken Mankoff wrote
> Hi Helmut,
>
> On 2016-01-21 at 11:45, Helmut Kudrnovsky <

> hellik@

> > wrote:
>> a quick internet search finds, e.g.
>> http://geotiff.maptools.org/proj_list/oblique_stereographic.html
>> maybe a starting point.
>
> I'd found that before, but thank you for sending the link again. I made
> progress on re-reading it.
>
>> for a correct Proj.4 string to create a location, it's best to ask in the
>> Proj.4 ML.
>
> The progress I made, unfortunately, makes me unsure if this is a proj4 or
> a grass question. But I'm not sure.
>
> I don't want to split this thread too much, but decided to try posting on
> GIS.SE since both communities might see it there.
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/177763/how-to-define-proj4-string-for-grass
>
> I'll post a resolution on this thread if I get an answer there.

on GIS.SE you posted a link to your data; see there:

https://nsidc.org/data/docs/daac/nsidc0092_greenland_ice_thickness.gd.html

" Projection

All grids are in a polar stereographic projection with reference to the
WGS84 ellipsoid. The standard parallel is 71°N, and the projection parallel
(latitude of the center of the projection) is 90°N. The North Pole is the
origin of the projection. The central meridian is 39°W."

-----
best regards
Helmut