[GRASS-user] Too many open files error using v.out.ogr in batch.

Grabow, Damon M. dmgrabow at nd.gov
Fri Jan 22 06:31:30 PST 2016

Running v.out.ogr within a for loop of range greater than 230 in length produces this error…

“Too many open files: can’t open any pipes
Error: Unable to start driver <sqlite>”

Mac OS X Yosemite
GRASS 6.4.3

I have attempted to break apart the loop into smaller segments but still receive the error.  I have attempted to track down the open files during the process but cannot seem to find where the open files are located, assuming they are within GRASS.  I have included a file close command within the loop to check that the output files were indeed closed.  I also have tried manipulating the max files allowed on the Mac OS X side.

Does v.out.ogr keep a file open within the GRASS sqlite database during operation, if so how to close it?

Finally, the goal of using v.out.ogr is to output .csv files for input into an external sqlite database.  Is there possibly a better way to go about that export?

Damon Grabow
ND State Water Commission
GIS Engineer
900 E Boulevard Ave Dept 770