[GRASS-user] import of netCDF file into GRASS 7.02

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jan 27 00:53:13 PST 2016

On 26/01/16 18:16, James Maas (MED) wrote:
> I'm attempting to import a netCDF file (filename.nc) into grass.  It is
> comprised of daily rainfall raster data over 730 days, for a 4 km x 4 km
> grid.  I think the resolution is 1 km so about 16 points per day.
>

> I've been digging around with gdalinfo and it says the following.
>

> When I use r.in.gdal
> input=/home/jamaas/research/ra1188uea/Enigma/Rainfall_data/BC_GB_daily.nc output=BC_GB_daily

I would start with

gdalinfo /home/jamaas/research/ra1188uea/Enigma/Rainfall_data/BC_GB_daily.nc

To see what the dataset contains exactly, especially which bands are
available.

As you can see in the wiki page that Thomas linked to, netCDF has a
particular syntax in gdal, as netCDF files can contain subdatasets which
in return contain bands. See also [1] for details.

Moritz

[1] http://www.gdal.org/frmt_netcdf.html