[GRASS-user] UTM 33x

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:42:03 PDT 2016

Hi Grass List,

I have a newbie question about reprojecting data. I know how to import data if it has a coordinate system with an EPSG code, or even sometimes without. Now I have some data which is UTM 33X. I can import it just fine, with

grass70 -c -e file.grd ./grass/foo

But the region is then (from =g.region -p=),

projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      8562350
south:      8545750
west:       509450
east:       519550
nsres:      100
ewres:      100
rows:       166
cols:       101
cells:      16766

And if I'm in another projection, and I try to import with =r.proj=, it does not work:

WARNING: <PROJ_INFO> file not found for location <foo>
ERROR: Unable to get projection info of input map

The data provided told me this is UTM Zone 33X. There doesn't appear to be an EPSG code for that. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

  -k.