[GRASS-user] UTM 33x

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 04:06:41 PDT 2016

Hi Micha,

Sorry if my terminology was incorrect and confused the issue.

On 2016-07-17 at 05:45, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:
> First, I have never heard of UTM 33X. Normally UTM zones are either
> north or south. So you might have UTM 33N, or UTM 33S. All UTM north
> zones that are based on the WGS84 datum are numbered: 326zz, where zz
> is the zone. So if your data is in UTM 33N, the EPSG code will be
> 32633. All UTM south projections (again based on WGS84) are numbered
> 327zz, with the zz=zone again.

33X exists. It covers Svalbard.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#Exceptions

> > And if I'm in another projection, and I try to import with =r.proj=,
> > it does not work:
>
> The r.proj module does not import. Rather it does reprojection between
> one CRS and another.

Yes, I mean reproject, although I think of it as importing from an existing location to a new location.

> So: I think you should setup a GRASS LOCATION and MAPSET (using the
> wizard) based on the EPSG code 32633 (or 32733 if your data is UTM
> 33S), then, within a GRASS session in that LOCATION just do: r.in.gdal
> -c input=file.grd output=file

I've let grass define the location using the "-c" flag to the grass command, then imported it with r.in.gdal. But because it is 33X, the location isn't fully defined, and I cannot reproject.

If I follow your advice, it does not work:

$ grass70 -c epsg:32633 tmp
GRASS 7.0.3 (tmp): > r.in.gdal input=file.grid  output=file
ERROR: Projection of dataset does not appear to match current location.

  -k.