[GRASS-user] UTM 33x

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 05:10:35 PDT 2016

Hi Helmut,

On 2016-07-17 at 11:36, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
>>33X exists. It covers Svalbard.
>
> Grids & Datums: THE KINGDOM OF NORWAY
>
> http://www.asprs.org/a/resources/grids/10-99-norway.pdf

After a quick skim of that article, I'm not sure why you sent it. It doesn't mention 33X, and only,

>> The coordinate systems of Svalbard include the Thumb Point Datum of
>> 1948 origin where: Theta_0 79° 03’ 58.97” North, A_0 2° 48’ 15.36”
>> East of Greenwich, and is referenced to the Bessel 1841 ellipsoid.

But the data I have is referenced to WGS 84. It is UTM 33X, which is 72°N to 84°N, and is 12° wide, from 9° to 21°.

> also have a look to www.epsg.io to find maybe an ESPSG code for this UTM
> zone.

There is none that I can find.

> maybe it helps to define a GRASS location for this area for your own.

I'm not sure what you mean by "define a GRASS location for this area for your own". I think I've done that (or more correctly GRASS has done that):

grass70 -text -c -e file.grid ./grass/foo
grass70 -text ./grass/foo/PERMANENT
r.import input=file.grd output=f

I have a grass location. The data is imported. I can do analysis on it and visualize it. But being a newbie to grass, I don't know how to get it out of this location and into another location for analysis that requires other data.

Because 33X is well defined (see my description above, based on this map http://www.dmap.co.uk/utmworld.htm ), I assume it is possible to export or reproject it to a different location, but being a newbie I don't know how to do this in GRASS, hence these emails.

  -k.