[GRASS-user] 3d profile/buffer (simple channel profile) possibilities

Robert Kuszinger kuszinger at giscom.hu
Wed Jun 1 00:17:38 PDT 2016

Dear All,

I'm looking for a solution to fast model channel earthwork. I'd like to
make it possibly in GRASS GIS as my maps and other stuff are already there.

Along a surface line (hand drawn vector on a terrain model) I'd like to
create a "trapezoid" like cut out from a 3D raster (!). Upper limit of
trapeziod is the infinite (the sky). I would like to make a "quick and
dirty" model of cutting through some hills with this channel.

However the path (the surface line) is not straight, it could be cut down
to small straight pieces, so any solution of creating this 3d trapeziod
around my 3D line (and convert to 3D raster and subtract) would be very
nice...

So I could calculate an estimation of earthwork.

thanks in advance
Robert