[GRASS-user] multi-user installation of GRASS 7

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 10 09:28:52 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 3:52 AM, Bartolomei.Chris
<Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com> wrote:
> Just a quick question.  Looking around the mailing list I see old references to multi-user installation on GRASS.
> Is this possible?

Yes, just install the software in a shared folder so that it is
available to all users. Nothing else needed on the software part.

> I have someone with a multi-processor system that wants to install GRASS 7 in one location (for ease of administration)

... yes. For convenience, I added a redirect:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Multiuser_installation

> and have several users run GRASs 7 at the same time, using the same mapsets.

They may work in the same *location* but different mapsets due to the
permissions management.

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Location_and_Mapsets#Multiuser_support:_Using_GRASS_GIS_locations_in_a_network

> I see that it is possible to NFS mount the location/mapsets but can grass manage multiple (concurrent) users?

Yes, a single (network based) GRASS GIS can be used by an "unlimited"
amount of users in parallel.

> I would guess the server is a Linux flavor of some sort.
> :)

Yes, maybe the easiest way to set it up.
In the past years I set up such settings in my various work places.

Markus

--
Markus Neteler
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software