[GRASS-user] Fwd: v.label utf8 possible?

Robert Kuszinger kuszinger at giscom.hu
Sun Jun 26 04:38:53 PDT 2016

Markus,

thanks for the notes. Finally I realized that in an UTF-8 environment *what
v.label does is ok*, its generated files (pure text with pre-calculated
placements) are identical to system codepage.

*ps.map itself is the component which is limited to latin1*.

Actually I haven't stopped at this problem but started to make an
alternative script for myself. In the near future I may have to create maps
with khmer text on it.
As a workaround I've created a script and discovered that I could simulate
the work done by ps.map with some handmade calculations.
The result is not worse (visually in terms of generated code) than my
beloved ps.map definition files. I have full control on display, raster,
vector and other map gadgets (north, scalebar, etc). I use GRASS_RENDER_*
variables, and all d.* commands. Cairo driver with BMP output is very fast.
I put each map "layer" into a different BMP files with identicatal
resolutions.

Merging (stacking, layering, flattening or whatever you call it) and
opacity are the only steps I need to use external command for which is
*imagemagick*.

The resolution is currently a given dpi (300-600) bitmap but I'd like to
test the toolchain with svg output as well to keep vectors for best print
process.
Anyway, an oversampled bitmap (600 dpi for 300 dpi target) is usually
enough so I'm ready for my own purposes.

I'm not too familiar with postcript but I'm also interested if it could be
enhanced anyway to work with opentype/ttf unicode fonts and glyphs.

Thanks again
Robert