[GRASS-user] Help with steps to output DEM, raster overlays and vector overlays to VTK based on NVIZ settings

David Wright david.a.wright at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 2 03:30:03 PST 2016

Hi,

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have grass 7. I am using NVIZ to display a dem with raster and vector
overlays. Looks fantastic.

I now would like to export this model (with colours and light settings etc)
to VTK, ultimately so I can convert it to dae file so I can load several of
them in Google earth as DEM's stacked on top of each other with surface and
vectors.

I can find lots of documentation  / help with parameters and settings but am
not having much luck on actually exporting the models. I have searched video
tutorials but haven't found anything there either.

I have a simple need - am finding it very complex with no success.

I think I am stuck at converting 2D rasters to 3D rasters first.

I also tried generating all the parameters to create a 3D raster. This gave
me a nice script based on the 3d display of DEM, overlay, vectors, colours,
vertical exaggeration etc. I tried to paste this from the GUI to the NVIZ 3d
dialog for generating a ppm file but couldn't paste it. I had to use the
dialog to build the script which is displayed at the bottom of the dialog
but it cannot be copied or pasted. This process created a ppm file but was
only 1k with no 3d model to be found.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Regards

David