[GRASS-user] Newbie questions about GRASS data model

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Tue Mar 22 08:58:24 PDT 2016

Hello list,

hello Anna, Helmut, Moritz, and Aldo

I'd like to say thanks for the helpful tips on my questions concerning the
data model. Especially Aldo's explanations helped me such a lot, thank you
once more. I appreciate it very much. It was possible for me to get deeper
into the backgrounds by taking a look at the ascii representation of the
GRASS data structure and by studying Aldo's figures.

ASCII export makes layer structure, categories and element types visible and
thus understandable.

But I still think that the layer concept is nothing unique or special in
this GRASS data model. If you "rename" the layers (that is: set
layer1=column1 and layer2=column2) and put the columns in a shapefile (for
example), then you have exactly the same chances to relate shape data to
different external files via the different columns, while the geometric
feature is digitized only one time. Or am I wrong? I know that shapes are
different because they hold only one type at a time, but that don't matter
here.

Best regards, Uwe