[GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows batch file and not an executable?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Wed May 4 00:27:13 PDT 2016

>In GRASS 6.4.4 (with msys) I could just run the scripts and everything ran
fine.

in the move of GRASS6.x to GRASS7 scripts are changed from shell scripts [1]
to python scripts [2].

therefore some mechanism is needed to start these python scripts with the
right python interpreter (e.g. own GRASS GIS shipped python intepreter),
i.e. bat wraper files in /bin.

have a look at [3] how it is done in the bat wrapper files:
---------------------------
@"%GRASS_PYTHON%" "SCRIPT_DIR/SCRIPT_NAME.py" %*
---------------------------

>I understand that some of this is written in C and some of this is written
in python ... is it not possible to compile the >python into an executable
binary (.exe) and just have .exe's in bin?

it is a limitation of msys that it doesn't recognize windows-bat-files as
executables.

[1]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/develbranch_6/scripts
[2]