[GRASS-user] importing Mars DEM takes too long

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Nov 20 13:13:36 PST 2016

Markus Neteler wrote
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Anna Petrášová <

> kratochanna@

> > wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Markus Neteler <

> neteler@

> > wrote:
>>> On Nov 19, 2016 11:55 PM, "Anna Petrášová" <

> kratochanna@

> neteler@

>>> Ok. And gdal_translate is equally slow with this dataset with respect to
>>> r.in.gdal?
>>
>> I haven't measured it, but it seems very slow as well. Do you think I
>> should make a ticket for that for GDAL?
>
> This would be good, to shed some light here.
>
> If needed, here a Mars DEM for the ticket to simplify things for them:
> http://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_020673_1750

just tested one of the smaller ones:

ESP_020673_1750_RED_C_01_ORTHO.JP2

r.import input=D:\dl\mars\ESP_020673_1750_RED_C_01_ORTHO.JP2
output=ESP_020673_1750_RED_C_01_ORTHO
WARNING: Datum <unknown> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found
WARNING: Datum <unknown> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found
WARNING: Datum <unknown> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found
Proceeding with import of 1 raster bands...
Importing raster map <ESP_020673_1750_RED_C_01_ORTHO>...
(Sun Nov 20 22:09:07 2016) Command finished (11 sec)

by

System Info
GRASS version: 7.3.svn
GRASS SVN revision: r69851