[GRASS-user] importing Mars DEM takes too long

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 14:38:19 PST 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
>>11 seconds can be pretty long depending on the size of the file. Try
>>to convert it to tif and load again, it will be probably much faster.
>
> the gdal_translated uncompressed geotif has about ~150MB (jp2 ~48 MB).
>
> the import takes about 7 seconds.
>
> there is some difference in importing time ; maybe cause of compressed vs.
> uncompressed.
>
> it's worth to ask on the GDAL ML about performance of GDAL'S jpeg2000
> driver.

I just tested it on in wingrass both standalone and from OSGeo4W and
it's very slow with ~50MB JP2 file. I tested this one:
http://www.uahirise.org/PDS/DTM/ESP/ORB_020600_020699/ESP_020673_1750_ESP_020528_1750/ESP_020528_1750_RED_C_01_ORTHO.JP2

How could you import it in 11 s? Maybe the problem appears only with
certain files?

Anna