[GRASS-user] map display query and layers

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Tue Oct 4 04:55:12 PDT 2016

Thanks Helmut, Thanks Anna

I compiled the trunk version, and the map query tool now clearly behaves
differently, but not how I expected

1) it shows all layers in the map query results, regardless of what
layer (if any) was selected in d.vect

I.e.

d.vect map
d.vect map layer=1
v.vect map layer=2

all have identical results in map query.  In addition, specifying layers
that don't exist emits no warning, e.g. d.vect map layer=999
works fine, and behaves the same as any of the d.vect commands above

2) it highlights selected features in yellow, and the selected features
(areas in my case) reflect layer #1, no matter what layer is requested
in d.vect.  I.e. d.vect map layer=2 map queries highlight layer 1.

I had been working on this with a quite complicated imported data set,
so to isolate the behavior more clearly I created the data below

(file ascii.txt)
VERTI:
B 5
  0  0
  0 10
10 10
10  0
  0  0
C 1 1
  8  5
  1  1
B 5
10  0
10 10
20 10
20  0
10  0
C 1 1
18  5
   1 2
B 5
  3  3
  3  7
  7  7
  7  3
  3  3
C 1 1
  5  5
  1  2
B 5
13  3
13  7
17  7
17  3
13  3
C 1 1
15  5
  1  1
(end of file)

then

v.in.ascii input=ascii.txt output=ascii format=standard
g.region vect=ascii
v.category --overwrite option=add input=ascii output=new_ascii
     layer=2 type=centroid

# check results

v.category ascii op=report
# 1 layer, 4 centroids with cats 1 & 2
v.category new_ascii op=report
# 2 layers, L1 4 centroids with cats 1,2 L2 4 centroids cats=1,2,3,4

d.vect new_ascii layer=2

# and check results with map query tool

Thanks, Dave