[GRASS-user] r.flow: define contributing area

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 4 07:45:53 PDT 2016

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Thomas Adams wrote:

> The only way to -correctly- do this is with hydrodynamic modeling, such as
> with HEC-RAS. It can be very crudely approximated with r.damflood (
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/addons/r.damflood.html).

Tom,

   I had tried using HEC-RAS long ago and found it required too much input
data for use with existing environmental data. It's great for research but
not so much in a regulatory context.

   Six years ago this would have been a great module for me to use for a
project had I been aware of it.

   For current need, it is the opposite of what r.flood does and the latter
is the appropriate one for the current purpose.

Thanks for making me aware of this,

Rich