[GRASS-user] Topology of overlapping intra-site archaeological polygons

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:48:47 PDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Salim Al Razzaz <salim.razzaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is not really a problem of GRASS by itself since I know that being
> topological is a choice made by GRASS, and it surely is a needed choice
> in the world of GIS.
>
> However, I happen to work sometimes with material from archaeological
> excavations. Mostly intra-site polygons, created by Arc-users,
> documenting layers (loci, features, and contexts) of soils overlaying
> each others.
>
> The problem here is that these polygons often overlap since the layers
> cover each others to different extents. Not only that, but each polygon
> has attributes in a db table.
> Once these are imported to GRASS and cleaned along the way they change
> considerably.

The overlapping polygons are broken into non-overlapping areas, but
each area inherits the category and thus the attributes of all input
polygons overlapping with that output area. That means that the
attribute table stays the same and you get the equivalent of an
original polygon by selecting all areas with the respective category
or attribute unique to the input polygon.

What do you want to do with the overlapping polygons in GRASS? An
example could clarify how to treat multiple areas with the same
category (the GRASS equivalent of overlapping polygons).

Markus M