[GRASS-user] meaning of "geometry"

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 25 13:23:40 PDT 2016

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016, Dave Roberts wrote:

> But here again is the confusion. The position of objects relative to each
> other is independent of the number of layers associated with each object.
> And so it seems to me that when GRASS users talk about "geometry" they
> mean space AND layers combined because they are inseparable in the
> implementation. Perhaps we need a new word for spatial realization and
> attributes combined rather than geometry.

Dave,

   Well, I consider layers to be the third dimension in GRASS vector object
geometry. They are not independent geometrically if we think of them as
'themes,' each mapping objects of the same type, and yet that theme/layer
has positional relationhips (geometry) with other layer which is usually
where our interest lies.

Rich