[GRASS-user] i.segment.stats memory usage error

James Duffy james.philip.duffy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 02:22:02 PDT 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to use i.segment.stats with GRASS 7.0.4 in the osgeolive 32bit
operating system.

Prior to using this tool I have successfully created my segmented map using
i.segment.

When I try to execute the following command:

i.segment.stats --overwrite --verbose map=gp_seg_optimum at gp1 \
rasters=gp_ortho.1 at gp1,gp_ortho.2 at gp1,gp_ortho.3 at gp1,gp_ortho.4 at gp1 \
raster_statistics=min,max,mean,stddev,variance,sum \
csvfile=/home/jpd205/Wales_GRASS/GarronPill/gp_seg_stats \
separator=comma

I get this error:

Calculating geometry statistics
ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 4273800320 bytes of memory at
       /tmp/tmpgzUtnA/r.object.geometry/main.c:129

Having read into this error, it seems to be an issue with having a 32bit
operating system. I'm not in a position to use a 64bit machine, and given
that i.segment can work with small memory limits, I wondered if
i.segment.stats could as well. I'm not requesting the vector map be created
to also save on processing strain.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James