[GRASS-user] CHELSA climate data set

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 01:10:57 PDT 2016

Hi Helmut,

I saw the announcement for this data set some time ago. I'm downloading
now, just to give it a look. But, AFAIU, they are climatologies the same as
worldclim. The remark is that they cover a more recent period than
worldclim (1973-2013 compared to 1950-2000). But I know nothing about the
quality of this data. Also worldclim developed a newer dataset that is
still in beta (http://worldclim.org/version2)... Maybe worth comparison :)

In any case, if they are just climatologies (averages over the years), I do
not see much that you could do with tgrass that you couldn't do with the
other modules (and I'm fan of tgrass!). You could however obtain the
bio-climatic variables yourself with Markus Metz's add-on r.bioclim (
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/addons/r.bioclim.html) that works
pretty nice.

Cheers,
Vero