[GRASS-user] create location from CLI

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 07:12:59 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-06 at 13:21, Dave Roberts <droberts at montana.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the simplest way in GRASS7 to create a
> location from the command line without using a georeferenced file. So
> far, it appears to be
>
> % grass70 -c newLocation
>
> at the OS prompt, followed by
>
> GRASS GIS 7.0.4 > g.proc -c wkt=some WKT text file

You say "without using a georeferenced file" but then use the WKTfile. Why not use that at the CLI?

grass70 -e -c WKTfile newLocation
grass70 ./newLocation/PERMANENT

I do it in two lines and use -e on the first so that if I run this again, and the location exists, it will still launch GRASS. If you just do the first line w/o -e, GRASS won't start if the location exists.

> I can't seem to get g.proj to parse any proj4 strings either from
> stdin or a file, even substituting the output from a g.proj -j command
> from a working location.

A MWE would help debugging.

  -k.