[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii not building area

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 8 16:47:04 PDT 2016

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> I think you need to add centroid [1]:
>
> B  4
> 5959010.9323622 3401338.36037757
> 5959096.7459483 3401370.54047235
> 5959091.38259917 3401450.99070932
> 5959010.9323622 3401338.36037757
> C  1 1
> 5959063.08352122 3401386.98533277

> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/v.in.ascii.html#example-1a)---standard-format-mode

Vaclav,

   Following the link on that page to

<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/vectorascii.html>

provides details on each portion of the input file. I modified my input file
by adding a centroid (whose coordinates are approximately in the center):

ORGANIZATION:	Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.
DIGIT DATE: 	2016-09-08
DIGIT NAME:	-
MAP NAME:	projbnd
MAP DATE:	2016
MAP SCALE:	-
OTHER INFO:	-
ZONE:		0
VERTI:
B 4
   -123.102155 45.215480
   -123.098186 45.215480
   -123.098186 45.211372
   -123.102155 45.211372
C 1 1
   -123.100170 45.213426

and grass is still not satisfied:

> v.in.ascii --overwrite input=project_bounds.txt output=projbnd \
> format=standard separator=space

WARNING: Vector map <projbnd> already exists and will be overwritten
Building topology for vector map <projbnd at topography>...
Registering primitives...
2 primitives registered
5 vertices registered
Building areas...
  100%
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands...
Attaching centroids...
  100%
Number of nodes: 2
Number of primitives: 2
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 1
Number of centroids: 1
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0
WARNING: Number of centroids exceeds number of areas: 1 > 0
WARNING: Number of incorrect boundaries: 1
WARNING: Number of centroids outside area: 1
GRASS 7.3.svn
(Oregon-Dayton):~/projects/oregon/washington-eichler/data/topography >

   Still no areas are built.

Rich

   1 5