[GRASS-user] Import ASCII point file, project to current location

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 9 11:07:34 PDT 2016

   I'm missing something simple here and have not found a man page or other
explanation about the missing step.

   The source file is in standard format with long/lat points. The target
location is the Oregon state standard projection and coordinate system: NAD
1983 HARN State Plane, Oregon North; FIPS 3601 Feet Intl. and Geographic
Coordinate System: North American 1983 HARN.

   When the source .txt file in in the target location/mapset v.in.ascii
imports it but it is still in long/lat coordinates so I moved the source to
a new mapset in the Oregon long/lat NAD83 location (which is the target
projection and coordinate system (unless the HARM adjustment changed
things).

   Importing the source .txt file into the Oregon-ll83 location's project
mapset with v.in.ascii gave me a vector file in x-y coordinates.

   Restarting grass in the target location/mapset I ran 'v.proj
location=Oregon-ll83 mapset=4247.01 input=proj_bnd' (all on one command
line).

   However, when I try to overlay a much larger LiDAR raster file with the
proj_bnd vector file the do not overlap which means the reprojection was not
correct.

   The vector file bounds are:
 	N: 575450.6	S: 573920.8
 	E: 7532700.7	W: 7531630.3

   The extent of one of the raster files is:
 	634966.8 - 664969.8
 	1240513.2 - 1286590.2

   My web searches and reading the grass doc pages did not show me what I've
done incorrectly.

   Advice needed.

Rich