[GRASS-user] Importing ESRI Grid file ... or Shapefile?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sat Sep 10 12:09:58 PDT 2016

Rich Shepard wrote
> The LiDAR data files do not have the same extent as the vector files, and
> they should. I think I incorrectly imported them.
>
>    There are two flavors of the files: ESRI Grid and Shapefiles.
>
>    I used the Grid files, specifying hdr.adf as the file to use. But,
> since
> the .prj file is specified when importing a shapefile I wonder if that's
> what I need with the Grid format. The metadata.xml has these bounds:
>

> <westbc Sync="TRUE">
> -123.253402
> </westbc>
>   <eastbcSync="TRUE">-123.131197
> </eastbc>
>   <northbcSync="TRUE">45.002688
> </northbc>
>   <southbcSync="TRUE">44.925436
> </southbc>
> and
>
> <leftbc Sync="TRUE">
> 600316.500000
> </leftbc>
>   <rightbcSync="TRUE">631069.500000
> </rightbc>
>   <bottombcSync="TRUE">1169386.500000
> </bottombc>
>
> <topbc Sync="TRUE">
> 1196554.500000
> </topbc>
>    Looks like both long/lat and Oregon State Plane coordinates are
> provided.
>
>    The prj.adf file contains:
> Projection    LAMBERT
> Datum         HPGN
> Spheroid      GRS80
> Units         3.280839895013123
> Zunits        NO
> Xshift        0.0
> Yshift        0.0
> Parameters
>    43  0  0.0 /* 1st standard parallel
>    45 30  0.0 /* 2nd standard parallel
> -120 30  0.0 /* central meridian
>    41 45  0.0 /* latitude of projection's origin
> 400000.0 /* false easting (meters)
> 0.0 /* false northing (meters)
>
>    The Shapefile for the area including my project has this projection:
>
> PROJCS["Lambert Conformal Conic", GEOGCS["GCS North American 1983
> HARN",DATUM["D North American 1983 HARN",SPHEROID["GRS
> 1980",6378137.0,298.257222101]],
> PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],
> PROJECTION["Lambert Conformal Conic"],
> PARAMETER["False Easting",1312335.958005249],
> PARAMETER["False Northing",0.0],
> PARAMETER["Central Meridian",-120.5],
> PARAMETER["Standard Parallel 1",43.0],
> PARAMETER["Standard Parallel 2",45.5],
> PARAMETER["Latitude Of Origin",41.75],
> UNIT["Foot",0.3048]]
>
>    Should I put these source files in the WGS84-lat-long location, the
> Oregon-ll83 location, or the project location which is the Oregon State
> Plane projection? And, do I import the Grid or shapefile? I'm confused.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

>And, do I import the Grid or shapefile?

It depends which data you need :

- Shape file: vector data
- Esri Grid: raster data

so these data may be/are different.

a common workflow I do with data in different projections:

- Defiine a projection in which you want to do your analysisi(1)s
- Reproject data in different projections than (1) either by
gdalwarp'ed/ogr2ogr or by v.proj/r.proj to this srs/projection

In this way data projection mixing can be avoided.

-----
best regards
Helmut