[GRASS-user] Importing data in .atx/.gdb format

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 07:59:55 PDT 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

> http://www.gdal.org/drv_openfilegdb.html

   Based on this line I get potentially useful information from grass:
"A specific .gdbtable file (including "system" tables) can also be opened
directly."

   Still cannot use the directory as the input target:
> v.in.ogr input=~/data/grassdata/or-trans/
ERROR: Unable to open data source </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/or-trans/>

However, a single .gdbtable file produces this output:

> v.in.ogr input=~/data/grassdata/or-trans/a00000001.gdbtable
WARNING: All available OGR layers will be imported into vector map
          <GDB_SystemCatalog>
ERROR: Projection of dataset does not appear to match current location.

        GRASS LOCATION PROJ_INFO is:
        name: NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Oregon_North_FIPS_3601_Feet_Intl
        datum: nad83harn
        ellps: grs80
        proj: lcc
        lat_1: 44.33333333333334
        lat_2: 46
        lat_0: 43.66666666666666
        lon_0: -120.5
        x_0: 2500000
        y_0: 0
        no_defs: defined

        Import dataset PROJ_INFO is:
        Dataset proj = 0 (unreferenced/unknown)

        In case of no significant differences in the projection definitions,
        use the -o flag to ignore them and use current location definition.
        Consider generating a new location with 'location' parameter from
        input data set.

   This tells me that the source data might be in long-lat and not projected.
Since grass will not display the source files' location name I will move
them to the WGS84/ long-lat location.

   This still does not import the files. Using the GUI and selecting
Directory and OpenFileGDB format all files are greyed out and grass won't
open anything because no file has been selected.

   Changing to File with OpenFileGDB format and selecting a single .gdbtable
file produces these results:

(Wed Sep 14 07:50:52 2016)
v.import input=/home/rshepard/data/grassdata/WGS84/odot2014/a00000001.gdbtable layer=GDB_SystemCatalog output=GDB_SystemCatalog --overwrite
WARNING: All available OGR layers will be imported into vector map <GDB_SystemCatalog>
ERROR: Coordinate reference system not available for input </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/WGS84/odot2014/a00000001.gdbtable>
(Wed Sep 14 07:50:52 2016) Command finished (0 sec)

   I'm not ignoring what Stefan, Helmut, and Markus are writing, and I have
again read the gdal.org web page on ESRI OpenFileGDB, but I'm not getting
the expected results.

   If there's no available reference system there must be something broken or
incomplete in the source tarball. I'll contact the repository this morning
and let you know what I learn.

Thanks,

Rich