[GRASS-user] DEM to DTM

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 22:14:58 PDT 2016

Hello José,

There is basically three global DEM freely available:
- Aster DEM, which is agreed to be garbage
- SRTM, which is the reference
- the newly released ALOS DEM, which seems to be the best quality of all 3.

They are surface models, so trees and buildings are affecting the altitude
values. It exists methods to approximate the bare earth, but neither easy
nor accurate. Furthermore, the methods described in the literature seems
more designed for global correction that might not lead to adequate results
for detailed study in urban environment.

I actually have the same problem as you and in search of solutions.

Regards,
Laurent