[GRASS-user] Guidance wanted working with LiDAR data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 19 12:11:57 PDT 2016

   I've not before worked with LiDAR data or a project area this small and
flat; I've read the LiDAR Wiki pages without answering all my questions.

   The LiDAR modules mentioned work with vector point data. My data sources
are Shapefiles of raster DEM data. I want to describe surface water flow
over a small, flat area (14.321 ha/35.168 ac; I can change the project
bounds if needed). The source cell size is 0.3048m (1 foot) with vertical
resolution 0.04m (0.13 foot). The LiDAR raster map displays as a solid color
(see attached map with a couple of roads and a culvert); the bare earth
contours, roads, and culvert map is also attached.

   What modules are appropriate for these data to model flow paths to the
culvert inflow? Or, should I convert the raster or vector files to a
different type?

   All recommendations and suggestions welcome.

Rich