[GRASS-user] Different distances to outlet for r.stream.order and r.stream.distance

Mira Kattwinkel kattwinkel-mira at uni-landau.de
Tue Sep 20 01:53:57 PDT 2016

Dear List

r.stream.order gives, among other output, the distance of current the
stream init from the outlet of the catchment ('out_dist'). So for the
most downstream segment this is identical to the length of the segment.
r.stream.distance calculates the distance to the outlet and results in a
raster file. Both are based on a stream raster and a direction raster.

When I compare the results, they are slightly different, although based
on the same input files (see the attached Fig1). The raster value is
212.33 at the junction, while the out_dist of the line is 237.69. The
difference is one cellsize (25.023 in may example), probably due to the
horizontal bit of the line at the end (upper right of the figure).
However, this difference is not fixed. In the middle of the network
(Fig2) it is larger (81028.9 - 81002.89 = 27).

What is the reason for this difference? Is this a bug or a wanted behaviour?

I want to extract the position of points on the network (i.e. upstream
of a junction on the lines). To this end, I planned to use the upstream
distance of the points and the out_dist of the segments (length(segment)
- (out_dist(segment) - upDist(point)) = position(point)).
Has anybody another idea how to accomplish this?

Thanks a lot,
Mira