[GRASS-user] The case of the disappearing region

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 29 07:00:46 PDT 2016

   This might be normal behavior that I've not before encountered or it might
be something I'm not doing correctly. Regardless I'd like to understand why
a region definition disappears when I close a grass-7.3.svn session.

   When I try to re-project a map to the current location I cannot because
the source is out of the current region:

> g.region -p
projection: 99 (NAD83(HARN) / Oregon North)
zone:       0
datum:      nad83harn
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      1
south:      0
west:       0
east:       1
nsres:      1
ewres:      1
rows:       1
cols:       1
cells:      1

   Setting the region to an encompassing vector area allows me to work:

> g.region vector=lidar_src -p
projection: 99 (NAD83(HARN) / Oregon North)
zone:       0
datum:      nad83harn
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      179289.17039256
south:      165239.35347627
west:       2293535.53997259
east:       2302688.49955632
nsres:      0.99998697
ewres:      0.99999558
rows:       14050
cols:       9153
cells:      128599650

   My question is how to glue this region definition to the location without
starting grass in the PERMANENT mapset. Or, do I need to start grass there
and add the -s option?

Rich