[GRASS-user] r.mask: no MASK created when using many categories

Mira Kattwinkel kattwinkel-mira at uni-landau.de
Wed Apr 5 05:22:50 PDT 2017

Dear List,

I am using r.mask to create a new raster map that only contains certain
categories given in 'maskcats'. Then, I use r.mapcalc to save the map
under a new name and (to be on the save side) delete the MASK with
r.mask flag '-r'. I do this in a loop and it works fine until a case
when the number of categories to combine is 213 (trail and error lead to
106 as the maximum number that works fine). Flag 'verbose' gives the
message that a MASK was created, but none is there. The problem arises
in both cases when I directly use Grass or through R using execGrass.

Is there a limit in the number of categories that can be passed to
r.mask? I did not find any hint about that. Additionally, I wonder why
there is no error message but in the contrary one that tells me that a
MASK was created even when it failed.

In case the details are important (or if anybody has a better idea how
to achieve what I want): I have a raster map of subcatchemts belonging
to stream segments created with r.stream.basins. For the endpoints of
segments, I want to combine these subcatchments to a total catchment
raster map containing all upstream catchments.

Thanks a lot,

Mira

--
Dr. Mira Kattwinkel