[GRASS-user] Python3 with GRASS?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Apr 16 12:16:30 PDT 2017

Rich Shepard wrote
> Are python scripts for GRASS written with the __future__ module so they
> can be used with python3?
>
>    I'm writing all new code with python3 (and will convert the python2
> scripts as needed using 2to3) and would like to be able to remove python2.
> I'm looking for a tool to tell me which installed applications require
> python; I know that grass7.3.svn does.

as stated in REQUIREMENTS to compile GRASS GIS 7 [1]

   Python >= 2.6 (for temporal framework, scripts, wxGUI, and ctypes
interface)
   Note: Python 3 support is still in development

some more discussions in [2] and [3]; maybe more in later discussions on the
dev ML.

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/source/snapshot/REQUIREMENTS.html
[2]
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GRASS-GIS-2708-Run-GRASS-with-Python3-td5215769.html