[GRASS-user] g.list ... -1073741701

Edmund Swylan Edmund.Swylan at ponymail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:05:17 PDT 2017

ES> However, why doesn't then GRASS keep its libtiff.dll in bin rather than in
ES> extrabin?

HK> In bin: all GRASS generic binaries
HK> In extrabin: all external binaries like libtiff

The "owns" are also in lib. Fair enough. If we accept though the "impossibility"
of having more than one directory in front of the Windows system directories,
then, to get at any function in a lib or extrabin dll, the said Windows directories
have to be searched over and over again - as indeed they are at present.

MM> IIUC, for MS Windows, this is not possible, system paths always come first.

ES> Why?

HK> MS operating system design decision.

As already pointed out, it is perfectly possible. Those who would not recommend it,
would - one presumes - also wish to see all lib and extrabin dlls go to bin.

HK> That's known as windows dll hell...

Or might be. The "hell" is supposed to be about different versions of Microsoft's
stuff. With those winGRASS uses (at least) two methods: extrabin (for, e.g.,
msvcrt.dll) and WinSxS (for, e.g., msvcr80.dll). The former would never work if
extrabin could not come before the Windows system directories.

Edmund