[GRASS-user] r.damflood question

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Aug 30 01:56:21 PDT 2017

Hi, glad to see the module is used :-D

If I correctly remember, you have to use a DEM with bathimetry and dam,
then the dam break is passed trough a raster with decrements of dam height
(it is use to calculate the new DEM after the dam breck by DEM - BREAK).

Best,
Maxi

>>> [https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2Yx_1shUSx3VThlY3B
>>> rV1JyWjg?usp=sharing],
>>> with this command:
>>>
>>> r.damflood --overwrite --verbose elev=dem lake=water_depth
>>> dambreak=dam_breach manning=manning tstop=3 deltat=1 h=b_depth vel=b_vel
>>> hmax=b_mwd vmax=b_mwv imax=b_mi wavefront=b_wf
>>>
>>> To make it easier, the lake has a constant depth.
>>>
>>> As far as I can understand, the rasters should be correctly built, but
>>> the
>>> outputs of r.damflood are obviously wrong (rasters with nodata or one
>>> category = 0; at second 1 the depth raster is half the lake's size
>>> (s00.png,
>>> s01.png)and at second 2, it completely disappears).
>>>
>>> During the processing, I get the Courant-Friedrich-Lewy stability
>>> condition
>>> warning message.
>>>
>>> If I try to chose as computational method for initial velocity
>>> estimation,
>>> uniform drop in of lake or small dam breach, I get the following error
>>> "ERROR: Don't find the dambreak - Please select a correct map or adjust
>>> the
>>> computational region".
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason of these results,
>>> please?
>>> Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.
>>>

>> Your water_depth should have 0 instead of nulls, I think that's the
>> problem in your case. The stability condition warning probably means
>> you should reduce your time step, on the other hand, it will take more
>> time.
>>
>> Anna
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Codrina